View Single Post
Old 01-21-2012, 09:46 PM   #15
63GMCKid

Re: '63 GMC 4x4 "Just Because I can/Do It All" Build

Now here is the part that I personally am the most proud of so far. These mounting plates took alot of hours behind the computer screen and out in the garage measuring to get the drawing perfect so when it cut on the PlasmaCAM, it turned out perfect. Both of my welding instructors at the community college own welding businesses and PlasmaCAM machines and were quite impressed by my mount plates here, as getting oddball clocked holes with uneven round bolt patterns to line up is no easy task.

First up, the divorced housing itself. Drivers drop Ford divorced NP205. Those massive chunks of iron for the factory mount locations are getting cut off in favor of the plates I made, which will get tabs and poly-bushings. Plates are made from 3/16 steel and cut on the PlasmaCAM.

Every single bolt hole lines up perfectly on both the back.......

and the front!

Did someone say super bling trophy truck sway bar arms? Got bored one day and drew these bad boys out and cut them from 1/4'' 6061-T6 aluminum, each arm is made of 3 pieces for a total 3/4'' thick. Why spend $300+ on a Currie Anti-Rock bar when I can machine some square ends on 1/2t truck torsion bars and make my own awesome looking arms? They aren't finished yet and kind of dirty from laying in the back of my daily driver truck for a while, but the pics should speak for themselves. As for welding them, it was all the little Miller Dynasty 200DX TIG machine could do at 200 amps to weld these beasts, once they were up to temp I didn't stop welding for anything! Done with a WP20 watercooled TIG torch and 3/32 tungsten, 200 amps and pedal to the metal.

Last edited by 63GMCKid; 01-21-2012 at 10:09 PM.
63GMCKid is offline   Reply With Quote