View Single Post
Old 04-16-2017, 10:38 AM   #2
lango

Re: Thinking about hooking my ac up

I got mine at the local O'reilly's- to be able to use the warrenty, you must replace the accumulator and orifice tube (normal stuff). If the compressor isn't working, it may have sent trash, like metal filings, through the system. The orifice tube usually catches that kind of thing, they say. I just rebuilt the system on my 84 k10, earlier this month. I had never worked on a/c before, but have experience in parts sales from many years ago. I was told to flush the system, to be sure it's clean of trash. Looking at the condenser and all those "u bends" I thought it best to just replace it. Also replaced the evaporator core, along with the accumulator and orifice tube. Basically everything but the hoses, which I took off and flushed out and blew out with air hose. One thing- that caught me- the schrader valves (valve cores) should be replaced, too. Going from R12, to R134a, everything has got to be super clean. My evaporator core box was full of crap, so good idea to clean it out. Sorry for the long story- good luck with it. A/C is nice.
lango is offline   Reply With Quote