View Single Post
Old 12-24-2011, 08:31 PM   #3
88 Beater

Re: Advice on new PROM?

I'm using the terminology out of the Haynes manual. My ECM has 2 removable chips and the manual calls the bigger one the PROM and the smaller one the CALPAK. Also, on Rock Auto, the pic of the CALPAK matches my smaller chip. The Haynes manual says the CALPAK is there to try to make the truck run if the computer fails in some way and can't run normally (and this seems to be the case). The pic I found on Auto Zone's website and the pic in the manual for the PROM matches my larger chip. Sorry if I'm using the wrong terms but I'm trying.

I've tried to check the pinouts on the connectors using the Haynes manual and the schematics in the FAQ. I haven't found any problems. Voltages seem to be good where they're supposed to be and grounds seem good too. I did replace the battery cables already since they were corroded and there was some resistance and voltage drop. New cables seem to have fixed that at least. I've also checked all the components that hook to the ECM and haven't found any problems but I have found some mistakes in both the Haynes manual and the schematic in the FAQ that had me chasing my tail for a while so I'm not 100% confident everything's actually right. If anyone could point me to a good pinout diagnostic chart / procedure, I'd appreciate it greatly. I did some searching but couldn't find one.

'88 C3500 - 350 TBI, THM-400
88 Beater is offline   Reply With Quote