View Single Post
Old 12-02-2017, 10:12 PM   #168
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Re: Elwood the 77_remix

Call me crazy, but I took a step backwards today. I got a call from a friend that buys and sells Squarebody trucks and parts. He recalled a conversation we had about a month ago that I was looking for a axle with 3.42 gears. He picked up a deal on an 87 Suburban with a bad motor that had 3.42 gears on the SPID.

He pulled the cover and verified that they were the gears I wanted and appeared to be in excellent condition. I ran the numbers and verified this was a factory 8.5" 10 bolt so I couldn't resist. He offered me a brother in law deal and we traded axles.

Chris and I loaded the 12 bolt up and headed over to Berto's house. Fortunately he had sprayed the U bolts down with PB Blaster this week and let them soak. We dropped the drive shaft, and bolted the U bolts and slid it out.

In the light of day two things were obvious. The pinion seal was leaking, and the gear set was immaculate. The gears literally dont have awear pattern at all. I'm not sure how thats possible considering the Suburban had over 100k on it and I'm pretty sure the gear oil had never been changed.
Attached Images

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"

Last edited by N2TRUX; 12-02-2017 at 10:21 PM.
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote