View Single Post
Old 04-28-2008, 05:38 AM   #4
tylordurben

Re: 1950 GMC Project...

built the gauge pod. its actually leftover sheet metal from when i cut off the roof on my squareback to install the sliding rag top. after the mock up this was pretty straight forward...

heres the metal i used with the template transfered ready to cut:

drilled the gauge hole with a 2" hole cutter and cut the sheet metal with my 4" grinder, clamped it over some angle iron and flat stock and bent it / hammered it into shape:

tried my best to not burn the paint on the other side of the radio delete plate but with the mig i couldnt control it as i wanted, got a couple paint burns on the other side. here you see the hinge welded on, only had to grind down the lip on the delete plate to make things work:

almost final product, i just painted the pod gloss black and i also drilled on the bottom center for the on/off compressor toggle switch which is also black.

the front and rear switches will go on the two blank buttons, i am ordering (too much work to make for a client) green Lucite knobs that i will slip over the 2 toggle switches. best thing is that you can close the delete plate and delete the "modern" stuff.

hope yall likes it. i did this today cause i am waiting on a cherry picker to continue with the mustang II front end install.

Yaril
tylordurben is offline   Reply With Quote