View Single Post
Old 01-17-2013, 11:15 PM   #3
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: Need A Key For Your Suburban Tailgate Lock?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearboxx70 View Post
Very nice write-up, LockDoc! One thing to mention is the rarity if some key blanks. My 67 uses the same key for all the locks and ignition. Since I only got one key with the truck, I wanted a couple spares. Nobody in town had the blanks! My key is a small GM/Briggs and Stratton with an octagon top. There were 3 or 4 different blanks commonly used back in the day, but mine was not so common. I had to order blanks from key-men.com at a cost of about $7 a blank! I got 5, and had them all cut for my Burb at a small Chevy dealership that still had an older style key cutting machine. They all came out perfect, and the guy at the parts counter didn't even charged me for cutting my keys!
Thanks.

Yes, those Briggs & Stratton octagon head blanks are getting hard to find. They were only used on the '67's and some '68's. 7 bucks each is actually not a bad price. I have quite a few replacement ones but only a few of the original GM ones. There were only two different ones used on the trucks, the '67 used the "A" keyway and the '68 used the "C" keyway. You can also use the "A" keyway blanks with the larger rectangular head on them. They will work fine on your '67

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-

Last edited by LockDoc; 01-17-2013 at 11:51 PM.
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote