View Single Post
Old 05-01-2013, 05:14 PM   #105
Vic1947

Re: Crusty Rusty Leaky Squeaky 67 Step

The clouds are moving in and the temperature is steadily dropping. High for tomorrow is supposed to be low 30's so I took advantage of the beautiful morning and rolled CRLS outside and took a can opener to the lid. Sparks scorched the abandoned mouse house in the gap between the inner and outer roof panels, but no harm done. Vacuumed about five pounds of loose rust and mouse droppings from the around the edges and surveyed the situation. Note the 3/8" thick layer of filler along the cut above the driver side door. Underside of the roof in that area shows the bondo that oozed thru the holes they drilled to pull a dent. Thankfully, it looks like the new outer roof skin and the inner header panel will take care of 95% of the rot. Rest will have to be handled via patches. Fortunately, Brian G. had several pieces from his donor roof that he re-gifted to me. They will make the patch process go much more quickly. Time to break out the spotweld cutter.

The cab corner on the driver side is a joy to behold. Haven't decided whether to weld up the gaps and massage the bends or just cut it off and put a new panel on. Happily, that's not something I have to decide today.
Attached Images

Maybelline - my '57 Ford 2dr Sedan "Mecum'd" 3/2016 Location unknown
Silver Streaker "Mecum'd" 4/2013 Somewhere in Texas
Vic1947 is offline   Reply With Quote