View Single Post
Old 07-30-2018, 11:55 AM   #121
slomotion
Old Duffer

Re: Why do you live where you live?

Tim,
If you drop down 270 to 495, go east on 495 to Rt 29 (Colesville Rd) in Silver Spring you'd be in my original neighborhood. When I was there 495 didn't exist. The intersection of 29 and University Blvd. was a two lane, one stop light intersection. There was a church, a gas station, a couple of diners, a small grocery store and a bowling alley. One of my very first jobs as a kid was setting pins in that alley. We did it by hand back then.....( probably 1954-55,) step on a pedal under the end of the alley and locater pins would come up through the alley floor giving consistent placement of the bowling pins which had holes in their bottoms keeping alignment accurate. We learned pretty quick to not send the balls back until the pins were set and we were out of the pit because occasionally some half drunk asshat thought it would be cute to clip a pinboy with a couple of flying pins.
At the end of a line each bowler in a party would throw change down the alley usually about $.25-.35 each. A party of four could net you $2.00 or more. Why, on a good rainy Saturday we could earn $6-$8! Woohoo! (In those days for a kid that was big money.)

'81 G10 Shorty Van

"Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement." Will Rogers

"Under promise, then over achieve."
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote