View Single Post
Old 08-19-2018, 02:37 PM   #9
bigowl

Re: 1971 402 Big Block

Sure - here are a few; it's a recent purchase for me. About to have some work done on it, but not sure if I will do anything with the engine or not.

I had a compression test and 7 of the 8 cylinders show 180 psi. The #1 cylinder showed 105 psi. Wet test showed 125 psi. So, they thought it has a bad ring.

I am not a car guy but the engine seems to run pretty well from my perspective. Has good pickup. One thing I noticed on the highway (in addition to all the debris flying in through the kick panel vents) is that it seems to have an in and out kind of droning noise when it gets about 60 or so. No change in power; but some intermittent change in pitch.

Plans are to static drop, Ridetech shocks, rack & pinion steering, a/c, stereo, Dakota Retrotech gauge, new weatherstripping, new wheels and tires and some cosmetic stuff.

Not sure what to do on the engine part. Kinda want to stick with the 402 engine. Current plan is to add dual exhaust and just see how she runs for awhile. The torque of this engine is fun, and more would be even better.
Attached Images

bigowl is offline   Reply With Quote