View Single Post
Old 02-22-2017, 01:02 PM   #20
DirtyLarry
Windy Corner of a Dirty Street

Re: Rear brake upgrade: 11” to 13”

Quote:
Originally Posted by treborjm View Post
Sorry for the newb question.

I can't seem to find a definitive answer...

Will a square body (80's) 2WD 3/4 Ton 14 bolt FF axle fit a '84 K10 shortbed?

I can't figure out what the differences are after a VERY short search tonight. Was thinking that I had seen a link on the pirate site to an axle buyers guide.

I can get my hands on a couple of different 80's 2WD 14 Bolt FF axles, but want to make sure. I'd rather not have to weld perches/shock mounts.

EDIT: I found this site, (http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billav...ble/index.html) which makes it sound like the axle would work... but, I'm hoping someone will chime in and clarify.

Thanks

Rob
The short answer is yes, a 2wd or even 4wd ¾ ton rear axle will bolt right into a ½ as the perches are in the same location. 1 tons have different spring perch locations where the perches need to be cut off and moved when installing a 1 ton rear axle into a ¾ ton or ½ ton.

As an example, the 10.5” FF that has been in the back of my 1978 K10 for the past 20 years came from a 1976 C20. That said, keep in mind 10.5” 14 bolts get harder to find in ¾ (20 series trucks) after 1980 as most ¾ tons were equipped with the 9.5” 14 bolt semi floater beginning in 1981 as part of the weight reduction thing GM had going on. 10.5” full floaters were still used albeit typically only in ¾ tons with big blocks or diesels. A 2wd Suburban all the way to 1991 with a 454 or diesel will have a 10.5 full floater 99% of the time. The spring perches line up with a ½ ton too so Suburban make great vehicles to pirate axles from.

Edit: one last thing... don't forget the obvious pieces that need to be dealt with when doing a full floater swap. The U-bolts, spring plates (u-bolt plates need to come from the axle donor truck), u-joint and park brake cables need to be dealt with as well.

Last edited by DirtyLarry; 02-22-2017 at 01:10 PM.
DirtyLarry is offline   Reply With Quote