View Single Post
Old 05-24-2018, 02:03 AM   #39
nikwho

Re: any 2 tone paint jobs on 67/68 sheetmetal

For clarity, only '67's had the two tone roof, without the A posts painted white, correct? It's not a big deal to me, as my '68 GMC is not otherwise going to be factory correct, but I'm considering painting the roof, sans the A posts. Im also looking at painting the white below the lower body line and buying the '67/'68 trim kit from Brother's. Are there other manufacturers of that '67/'68 trim? As far as my '68 GMC is concerned, if the A posts were two toned at the factory, would the inside of the A posts still be body color? What about dash color? When I bought my truck, the dash was sprayed a tan/saddle/fawn color, as was the steering column. Looked nice, but not sure if that was just one guys thought oN how it should look. I'm trying to figure what was correct. Any insight on exactly where two tone paint lines should be, or end, in the dor jambs and cab would be greatly appreciated! I've also considered adding some two tone white to the center of the roof inside the truck, as I've seen others do. Was this done at the factory ever? I'm not spraying my truck a factory color, nor doing a correct restoration, so non of these details are crucial for my build. But, I'd still like to know how the factory did things, so I can take that into account when making decisions about where to put what color and tape lines.

What two tone options were available on the GMC variants of the '67 & '68's? Roof white, rest of truck body color. Roof & below lower body line white, rest of truck body color. When the lower portion of the truck is two toned, is the paint line (under the chrome/polished trim) right on the body line? How far does it wrap around the back of the cab and bed? I've seen some repainted truck just go a few inches. Is that correct? Just looking to come up on some knowledge as to the idiosyncrasies of the two tone paint on these trucks.

Also, as far as Chevrolet trucks go, the area around the grill was painted white if the truck had chrome bunoers, and silver if the truck did not have chrome bumpers? Is that correct? Does anyone know how this carried over to the GMC trucks? I have a chrome grill that has some black paint on the bottom of it, that I've seen on other trucks as well. I'm intrigued as to when/why the factory added black paint to the grills of the GMC trucks?

There's a lot of questions here. I really appreciate any/all answers and discussion that comes from them! I've got my truck all sprayed in epoxy and working on a little body filler. Next, I'll be top coating with a few coats of urethane primer and blocking the truck out. I've got all of my paint and will be putting some color down in the next few weeks, so im trying to answer some questions that have been bugging me.

Thanks a bunch,

Nik