View Single Post
Old 07-01-2018, 02:34 AM   #1
BigRandy

Set Up Steps For a 12 Bolt

Getting ready to do my first diff repair on an open rearend. Symptoms (whine under load but quiet when I back off) point to pinion bearings but not sure if that's all I'll find when I get it apart. So far the R&P look good but the spider gears are sloppy and worn.

Been reading the setup procedure and understand most of it except adjusting the pinion depth.

If I understand correctly the crush sleeve is used to set the pinion preload, seems simple enough, but but if the R&P don't mesh correctly the guide says (depending on the pattern) to adjust the carrier using shims, or move the pinion in or out which is where I'm stuck.

If pinion adjustment is needed, how can I move the pinion once the sleeve is crushed to the correct preload? Some guides say to adjust preload and then pull the pinion back out and install the sleeve and front seal. That sounds like a misprint or maybe a different rearend.

I thought once the preload was set the pinion was a done deal. Either I'm missing a step or not understanding the guide. Either is possible but the latter is more likely since most of the guides I've read cover rearends other than the truck 12 bolt.

I have the specs for preload (15-25 inch pounds) and backlash (.006-.0010) and torque. Also have a pattern chart which seems easy to read.

This is a 74 C10 with open 3.73's.

Any help getting me on track would be appreciated.
BigRandy is offline   Reply With Quote