View Single Post
Old 08-09-2017, 01:10 AM   #14
dsraven

Re: Brake Residual Valve Location Help

if it were me I would rework the upper lines (I assume the outlets) so they come upwards in a coil, like you wrapped them around a can of soup. you will still have some extra line for repairs etc but they would not be looped up higher than the res valve. then purchase a couple of "brake bleeder repair" fittings, available at napa ( UP BF117, they are pipe thread fittings with a bleeder screw in them) and install them in T fittings at the outlets of the block which should be the highest part of the system. 3/16-inch tubing is one of the most common sizes used in brake systems, which makes use of a 3/8-24 inverted flare nut. you would need a T fitting with the proper threaded ports. install the T's so the brake lines will come out the sides of the T and the bleeders will be across from them on the other leg of the T. the base of the T would go into the valve. that will allow you to bleed the air from the system at the high point because the block will be the highest part of the brake line system. it is probably going to be hard to get the air out of that area unless you have some bleeders there. once bled at the valve then bleed at the calipers. the other option is to manually bleed the system at the outlet fittings of the block by cracking the lines while a buddy steps on the brakes. just make sure the buddy doesn't let the pedal go until the lines are tight again. same theory as manual bleeding at the bleeder screws. this is definitely going to be messy and remember brake fluid usually softens or removes paint.

OR,

install the valve down low, like near the master cyl as shown in the illustration. that way you may not have the bleeding issue. once the valve is adjusted you will probably not be playing with it anyway. a few slides under the truck until you get it adjusted may be worth it. you could also cut an access hole in the floor of the cab for access if you think you need to be able to get at the valve often enough.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote