Thread: 47-55.1 1947 3600 Frame Help
View Single Post
Old 12-16-2018, 01:05 PM   #10
Dachshund

Re: 1947 3600 Frame Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsraven View Post
I know you prolly don't wanna hear this but I have changed many leaf springs over the years and have come to this work procedure.
before installing any used leaf spring or spring pack stand the pack upside down on the ground, a concrete floor works the best so the spring can slip easily. lay a short piece of wood over the spring center bolt then take the biggest hammer you have, preferably a sledge, and give the pack a couple of good hits. take a look now to see if any of the leafs have cracked. if so, junk the whole pack and start over with another set.
this is also the same reason i will not install re-arced springs. you spend the time and money for re-arcing and hardware etc only to find there is a broken leaf a short time later.
just my experience, you do what you want. just test the "new" and the other old springs first before you waste the time. also, a broken leaf has caused many tire issues for customers over the years as well. the broken leaf comes out sideways from the pack and rubs the sidewall of the tire. now you are in for a new leaf set plus a new tire plus any body damage caused if you didn't catch the problem until the tire blew out.
Well - I need this rear spring to get the stack onto the frame so I can move it out of the way. The plan is to replace both sides down the road with new. For now, I need it to make room in the shop for the cab. I'm not looking for a 100% NEW leaf, just one to get me by for now. It's gonna be at least a year before I'm on the road.
Dachshund is offline   Reply With Quote