View Single Post
Old 08-16-2020, 02:37 PM   #693
DD1

Re: Trying to make Junky perhaps just a little bit Funky...

I haven't done a lot lately. I've been busy with work and not up too it in the evenings, and the heat hasn't helped much. Last weekend we went to the Carlisle Truck Nationals Show where I picked up a couple things I need including a new passenger side inner fender (since I didn't feel like taking the time to repair either of the two I have) and lights for a 71/72 bumper.

The weekend before Carlisle, my brother-in-law came over and we worked on lining up the fenders, rockers, and doors. We decided on moving the D/S door out to match the fender and filling the rocker in later. Took the truck outside and power washed the rear end. My 6 year old nephew enjoyed driving in the truck even though it was just in and out of the garage.

Today I was struggling with what to do next, but decided to spend some time on the support bracket on the P/S. This would be much easier with the fender off, but doing things the easy way is not one of my strong points. You might also note that I am doing things very backwards and out of the order I should complete them.

The problem with the support brackets is the firewall floor is damaged and while I got it too be a bit better with heat and a hammer, it's not where near where I need it to be. I decided to bolt the bracket on the cab which will hopefully force the weaker cab metal to the bracket. First I drilled two holes into the bracket.

I was still having trouble lining it up on the cab, so I decided to start with the top and bottom pieces. I drilled a hole where the top spot weld originally was on the cab and bracket and bolted it in. It's not full attached in this pic, but I did tighten the nut and bolt.

Then I drilled two holes on the bottom of the bracket and one hole in the lower cab support to pull it in.

Next, I marked off the first two holes I made in the front of the bracket. I'll remove the bracket, drill out the holes in the firewall, bolt it back in, the try to pull/hammer the firewall to the bracket, drill a few more holes and spot weld it. Also going to test fit the inner fender before I do anything else.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=502964

Last edited by DD1; 08-16-2020 at 08:19 PM.
DD1 is offline   Reply With Quote