View Single Post
Old 02-27-2017, 01:19 AM   #91
msg

Re: Fixin Dixie - 66 Short Bed Fleetside

Quote:
Originally Posted by graymage View Post
looks like a lot of work, takes a lot of talent, good job
Thanks Graymage, it takes a very understanding wife too. Ive spent way too much time in the garage but I am determined, to a fault sometimes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta65 View Post
I feel you pain friend looks like you are making some big progress in the battle on rust! Keep fighting the good fight my friend I'm subscribed
Thanks for subscribing Alberta65! Rust is so mean. I'll do my best to keep up the fight!

Since last entry I have been continuing the fight. Went ahead and repeated the cut out resto on the passenger side this time. There was a good bit of rust that opened up the upper dash that I felt I had to make the cut. But, what I did different this side was so not worry about the overlap seam and just patch the panel area as continuous. That saved me the effort of 2 panels that overlap and the seam to deal with. So I took cardboard and found some more scrap metal and cut out a patch.

I didnt take any pics of the in progress part, but here is what it ended up looking like and then I painted it with epoxy primer. I also fixed the rusted out windshield seam area.

Also the part I cut out of the firewall had some rusted out spots along the flange so that had to be fixed.

But this is what took most of this weekend, the windshield wipe motor mount opening. I really wasnt looking forward to this, the spot is hard to maneuver in. Pretty holed up with rust so it had to be done. I tried the self tapping sheet metal screw approach but dang.. it didnt help me like I had hoped. Ultimately I had to cut out the section, get the cardboard out and trace out a patch.

The center hole was a concern, I wanted to make sure it was aligned right and the right sized hole. I think I got it right, the hole I was surprised that I was able to use the snips to get cut out. You can see the little staggered pattern that the snip for snip motion created.

Now its a second coat to apply of epoxy primer on the left side in the air vent area as well, then I will try out the 2k seam sealer stuff I bought and then weld up the cut out areas I did. Thats all I have for now, later on.