View Single Post
Old 11-23-2019, 07:08 PM   #328
Zoomad75
K5Camper

Re: My K5 Blazer Story.

That brings us up to Blazer Bash which I already have a full write up on in the 4x4 section I'll link to here.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=793485

I did get one more run in before the snow started flying around here. Bill and John and I did a quick run over Medano Pass and a side trip up a good chunk of the Blanca Peak trail.

Medano is a very basic trail most stock pickups can handle. But when the leaves are changing color it's very pretty to see. Here is where we stopped on the west side of the pass where we stopped to eat lunch.

The Trail leads into the Great Sand Dunes National Park. It was loaded with people.

It was at this point we decided to escape the crowds and go somewhere to escape them. Bill brought up Blanca Peak nearby. Blanca is arguably one of the toughest in the state, known for fatalities and many rollovers. And we plan on taking a basically stock Taco and my overgrown K5 on it. John's TJ was really the most capable to be on that trail with Long arm suspension and air lockers. So we figured make the Taco go first like a bird in a mineshaft, as in if he couldn't make it further we'd stop and come back down.

After driving up over a mile of loose rock on the initial climb, the trail gets steep and starts going up a series of tight switchbacks.

Certain parts of the climb let us see the view back down into the wide and flat San Luids valley.

It's a steep trail at every turn. Plus the further we go the more narrow it's becoming.

We make it further up the trail near the first major section known as Jaws 1 to find this hammered Cherokee that's obviously been rolled a couple of times. This can't be good for us.

This is getting ugly fast. However the sheer drop downhill on the left side of the rock is the dangerous part. The climb over the rock tilts the truck to the downhill side. We wisely decide it's not worth it to proceed and elect to climb down in search of a good campsite.

After coming down for a while I found a spot tucked away in the Juniper trees that looked promising.

I cooked up a mess of Cheesesteak sandwiches for the group and hung out until it was fully dark. My nephew and I turned into the camper with the furnace keeping the camper nice and toasty inside.

The following morning I cooked a big breakfast of bacon and eggs for everybody. We broke camp after breakfast and came home via a new route avoiding La Veta Pass.
Zoomad75 is offline   Reply With Quote