View Single Post
Old 11-08-2016, 09:44 AM   #122
Lugnutz65

Re: How To Restore and Detail an Original Gauge Cluster

Quote:
Originally Posted by theastronaut View Post
**Update on foil lining the tubes**

I pulled the cluster out of my '66 yesterday to clean it up and lube the speedometer that was chirping. I put in new bulbs and foil taped the light tubes while I was in there which really helped brighten them up... Just drove it home and the red plastic high beam indicator lens melted after driving with the high beams on for awhile. I pulled the bulb out and it looked fine, so I think the foil insulates the tube and heat builds up more- enough to melt the red plastic lens. I'll pull it apart to check into it further tomorrow. So it might not be a good idea to line the tubes that will be continually lit long enough to build up any heat. It works great in the turn signal tubes though. I'll post my findings once I get it apart.
Rats! I thought I had a good idea but what you say makes sense too. Are you using standard bulbs? Well, at least it can be used with the turn signals. Thanks for the feedback.

Want to know more about T5 transmissions? My website has a T5 Info Page and a Step by Step T5 rebuild.
Lugnutz65 is offline   Reply With Quote