View Single Post
Old 06-04-2018, 07:58 PM   #11
MARTINSR

Re: Fleetside side panel dented

And of course if you plannish it flat it will likely close the hole up. Often back int he day, the hole wasn't drilled out for the slide hammer, it was punched with an awl.

Brings back a memory, I was about 18 at my first full time job doing body repair on used cars for a dealership, this was 1977. We got in a 71ish Monte Carlo with a real pearl white paint job. It had one large dent on the front fender between the wheel well and the door. Right off the bat we wouldn't be painting it being we didn't know a thing about pearls. So I would fix the dent and it would go for a complete at "Miracle auto painting" (a McPaint shop) in plain white.

I drilled a hole in the dent to pull with the slide hammer and in one tiny pull it popped right out! LOLOLOLOL It popped out without a hardly a fraction of a brow or something on the edge. But now it had a hole drilled! LOL I had to bondo over the hole and we sent it for a complete paint job over that beautiful pearl. LOL I could have used a suction cup or pushed it from the inside and popped that dent right out and sent it back to the dealer done!

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote