View Single Post
Old 11-02-2018, 09:30 PM   #48
HIGHWAY BY THE SEA

Re: My new project truck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieinNC View Post
I would then leave the plastic one there for the time being, but add an additional one in the line before the pump...

My thinking is there could be junk accumulating in what looks like a new pump....and the filter placed before the pump would trap this...

There should also be a filter sock on the bottom of the fuel pickup on the sender unit in the tank....

If the particles are coming thru as you describe, the sock may be missing...

If the particles are numerous, you may have a rusty tank...if thats the case, and others will chime in with other remedies,,,,I would replace the tank, but before installing it I would run a protection process on the inside of the new tank...there are threads on the board about this process....

I have a confession to make! I did not bother to check or replace the sending unit when my son and I removed the gas tank and dumped out the trash gas. I have a brand new one in my spare parts somewhere, but have not found it yet. However the gas tank is VERY clean with no rust (you may have missed that in post #1). I was surprised at this because when I reclaimed my grandfather and father's 68 stepside from the new owner, the tank was so rusty that the gas was practically rust. Soon as I find the new one I will check the old one (I don't want to have it accidentally fall apart in my hands and have no replacement handy). You have definitely given me something to think about. I never thought about the particles being trapped in the new fuel pump.
PROJECT JIGSAW 1967 GMC C3500
GREAT WHITE 1986 Blazer M1009

Last edited by HIGHWAY BY THE SEA; 11-02-2018 at 09:37 PM.
HIGHWAY BY THE SEA is offline   Reply With Quote