View Single Post
Old 02-16-2018, 06:27 PM   #1
K5 MAX

Bought a 72 K5 4X4

So I'm fairly new on this forum, but I've been lurking for a while, reading and trying to learn. I had all but given up on finding an affordable first gen k5. Y'all know what they go for, even rusted out POS's that are missing half their parts and I just couldn't spend that $ and have to then do a complete restoration on one.

I really was set on a full convertible so I proceeded with option 2 back in November. I bought a 74 body (thread and pics over on the 73-91 forum) with plans to buy a nice late 80's-91 K5 later and use the windshield frame, door parts and top to make it a full convertible. The first gen still was calling me though.

I was browsing Facebook marketplace on Tuesday afternoon and found this gem that was listed less than an hour before. I was the 1st caller and #2 in line behind a guy he had known his whole life. It was priced low I thought so I offered to pay up $300 to ensure he knew i was serious and to not loose my spot. I was there the next morning at 9am once he told me the first guy didn't have the cash to buy that day.

Details: 72 K5 350/350, 4x4, P/S, white top, heavy duty radiator, positraction, anyone know what the first "1AN310 Heavy-Duty Auxiliary" means? I couldn't find it on the options sheet I found online. Also any clue what gear ratio it has? 3:73's since nothing special is listed?

Supposively I bought it from the 3rd owner, been in the FL panhandle its entire life. A dentist bought it new as a hunting vehicle. It's pretty much original, showing 113k on the OD, guy said it worked until a few years ago, most all the gauges work, 4x4 works, had to put it in 4 low to get it on the trailer, top took a hit from a tree along the way so they cut it down and made it into a half cab, has a roll cage in the front (quality still to be determined), ran good once we blew the fuel line out, pretty sure it needs a new gas tank. Guy I bought it from put a set of valve seals in it and an electronic distributor while he owned it. Said the bottom end hasnt been touched.

Its got rust, not as bad as many i've seen on here. But for the price i was willing to take it on. I'll stop jabbin' here's the pics. Let me know what you think

Last edited by K5 MAX; 02-16-2018 at 06:33 PM.
K5 MAX is offline   Reply With Quote