View Single Post
Old 11-12-2006, 07:34 PM   #8
shifty
Questionable

Re: HOWTO: Great electric fan setup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hart_Rod View Post
Nice write up Shifty. What radiator did you use? Does it use the 2 1/4 inlet/outlet? What about a provision for the steam port? This is the fan setup I used:
Stock 3-core. Part number is '366' from Radiators.com for $180 (something like 443366 was the number on the box, I can get exact number if you want).

Napa carries it, but it's $100 more than Radiators.com:

http://www.napaonline.com/MasterPage...ption=Radiator

I believe the lower hose outlet is 1¾" and the upper is 1½" on this radiator, per the Napa site. Crappy part is the LS1 water pump bibs are ~¼" smaller than their respective hookup to the radiator.

For the lower hose, I went with a 13.25" / 1¾" rubber flex hose from Advance Auto, part number '1313'. The trick is to use the longer rubber end (you'll see what I mean when you look at it) and install it on the lower radiator bib, then clamp it down, then install the radiator (if it's out) and clamp it to the water pump. It fits a tad loose, but nothing a hose clamp can't fix.

I looked quite heavily for a reasonably priced universal flex hose, but the prices are seriously a freaking joke. This is the cheapest I could find:

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/I...D:100000323628

And I'm still thinking about getting it.

However, as you know, it's crucial to hookup the steam vent line on the GenIII motors, and I didn't want to hack a damned $80+ upper hose to insert a bung for this It's a tough choice. Because I went stock 3-core, it wasn't provisioned for this steam vent. You obviously can't use the radiator overflow bung. This radiator is tapped for ¼ NPT in the bottom (for the petcock), and supposedly you can use that, but I think it looks sloppy myself.

Alternately, You can drill and tap the water pump for the ¼" steam vent line and terminate there, or you can run it to the heater line, or you can drill and tap your radiator. I wasn't comfy with the latter of the three, so I'm (for now) running it out of the petcock provision, which will probably change before the first fire-up.

Quote:
Damn, that is nice! I take it this bolts to the factory radiator clips (the top clips), right? Are the fans replaceable? What is the profile like (how far will it stick out? The kit I used is pretty low profile. Looks like that one uses 2 diff't fans also. It's really cool that it comes pre-wired with relays and everything though. What is all the wiring on the left hand side? Temp sensor? That's a pretty smokin' deal!

Quote:
[Are you going to have your truck ready to drive to the Turkey Run? Keep plugging away man, you're almost there! Thanks again.

Rob
I doubt it. I was expecting to finish the last real big obstacle, which was the braided fuel lines, but by the time I got to working on those today, I had to come into work (where I am now) and I probably won't get them started, much less completed. I'll try when I get home, but bet the most I'll get done is mounting the FPR/filter to the framerail and maybe, just maybe, get the two shorter lines running to the tank.

I highly recommend checking out my thread at LS1tech (in my sig) for other information. I've had a fun time in the past couple of weeks getting stuff done. I have been posting a bit of it there. I really wanted to be done with the engine by turkey day, and I'm still trying to get my proposed clutch M/C bracket into CAD and sent off for milling.

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.

Last edited by shifty; 11-12-2006 at 07:37 PM.