View Single Post
Old 07-05-2016, 11:06 AM   #1215
Coach529

Re: 1949 Chevy 3600 into a daily driver

Finally got a chance to put some miles on yesterday.

Put about 20 miles on the old guy without any drama. Lots of thumbs up around town.

Like I said....no real drama. Still some punch list stuff to figure out.

Those of you who are following along on the 47-55 page on Facebook know all about this damn Danforth Crossmember. After spending some time chatting with Steve Szymanski, the owner of Industrial Chassis Inc it was pretty clear this may never work the way it is supposed to. With the current T Bird Rack I have a horrible turning radius, and no Ackerman Effect. Steve was amazing in the explanation of the theory behind the steering geometry and possible solutions. It was very clear he has a wealth of knowledge and was very willing to lend a hand with no monetary gain.

Possible solutions include finding a rack with more travel, but it is unlikely I will ever get the turning radius I am looking for. Ackerman will always be an issue. The best solution may be using an S-10 steering set up mated to a center steer rack and pinion set up. After some digging on the interweb I found the pictures below.

This setup (Found on Killbillet) is a Intrepid rack on S-10 chassis.

The last straw would be to hack this thing off and install a M2 or a Dodge Dakota Crossmember from Industrial Chassis.

"Adventures of Henry"

http://smu.gs/QOlhWY
Coach529 is offline   Reply With Quote