View Single Post
Old 01-26-2019, 08:07 PM   #109
Johns 66

Re: 1965 LWB Stepside Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by roll_the_dice View Post
Bad news for this week... found my swiss cheese in the floor...both sides of the truck near the kick panel. In their infinite wisdom, the PO patched it with a license plate riveted to the bottom of the truck (covered in undercoating) and poured silicone on the cab floor to fill in the holes/cracks. I got all the silicone out and wire wheeled the metal.

I don't think I can afford to have a patch panel welded in right now...so I have to figure something else out. Maybe a temporary fiberglass fix along with the POR-15. I have seen some videos. I also have experience in fiberglass work. It will all be under the carpet anyway...I am putting feelers out for a welder among my friends.

I also got everything off the firewall today and sanded off the undercoating that was on the firewall. Will get the steering column out tomorrow. Should be ready to paint the firewall later this week.

Here are some of the pictures from this week's work.

Picture 1 is the rust, #2 is the silicone I pulled out on the passenger side!

The best picture to me is the steering wheel. I took off my old non OEM wheel and had to try this one out for looks. Got it from Johns 66. Thanks again John...It is going to look even more awesome after I restore it.
Well my friend Andy...makes me think of Shawshank Redemption ...lol

Im sorry you found swiss cheese too...It seems like its a pretty standard thing on these old trucks....Most likely from the heater core leaking antifreeze on it......But you can get it taken care of Im sure, yours is not as bad as mine was although mine was filled with Bondo and not silicone.....what some people thought was a repair is beyond me but then again never know what those who owned it were going through at the time.

But good news is it is starting to take shape!!!!! and this should be the worst part you find!!!!!!
Johns 66 is offline   Reply With Quote