View Single Post
Old 07-28-2017, 10:40 AM   #852
knomadd

Re: Knomadd '71 SWB C-10

I've had a patch in my bed floor where the PO had tried to mount an under-bed gas tank, but apparently changed his mind (seeing as he put a 10 gal fuel cell IN the bed). That filler location didn't work for the tank I have, but I didn't fix it then , so I'm fixing it now while my fuel tank is out.

The problem I have is the aftermarket bed floor patches are not the same as the factory floor. It's dimensions are off so much that I can't just tweak it a little, I have to cut it apart at practically every bend. The flat parts are too wide, the angles are too soft and flat, so I'm only able to salvage one bend that I have to bend tighter/sharper after welding the flat part.

Here's my third attempt at this same patch section. The first, I had cut too many places, and in the flat sections which was just too big of a pain to fix. The second, I wasn't patient enough and all the heat from welding and grinding put a big sag in that patch. That's not going to work for me, so on to this attempt. I went slower and managed to keep the sag/warping to a minimum.
Attached Images

C/10 Club Texas member
1971 Chevy C10 "Brutus" SWB Fleetside 2016 6.0L (L96) 6L90E (driver/project)
1965 Pontiac GTO "Royal Goat" 400/TH400 w/AC (my baby)
knomadd is offline   Reply With Quote