View Single Post
Old 12-30-2017, 02:10 PM   #4
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Re: alternator excite wire

Quote:
Originally Posted by putnam00 View Post
Ok I will add a resistor to mine with a quick search I’ve found a 100K Ohm 1W Flameproof Resistor. Will this work. My 71 had the generator gauge, i retro fit a gauge from an 80’s chevy it has a resistor on the back of the gauage I could run a wire from it to the excite plug on my alternator, or buy the resistor and just add it in series to the wire that’s already there.
do the resistor in series from a key hot source but don't use the ignition coil wire, pink.
use the ignition unfused terminal on the fuse panel and you don't need a fuse in the exciter wire. Like I said the wire from the key switch ACC terminal is the original resistance wire but it is only ten ohms so you need the extra resistor, yours should be fine.

Measure the brown wire that connects to the alternator for 12 volts with the key on. If you get 10 or more just add the resistor in the brown wire in series. You won't need to come off the fuse panel with a separate wire. Sometimes we do that and add a charging light in the circuit for extra resistance and to be cool.

Here's a diagram of the key and the 24 gauge resistance wire (10 ohms), It's the fourth one down and it connects with the 12 gauge brown ACC wire terminal. It runs to the inside of the cab firewall block and connects to the 16 gauge brown wire on the engine side that goes to the alternator L terminal.

Ignore the blue arrow on the light switch.

Name:  60GMCRegulator.jpg
Views: 2496
Size:  108.2 KB

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote