View Single Post
Old 09-26-2018, 05:37 PM   #9
skyphix

Re: Introduction and Short Story

Thanks everyone! I fly out tomorrow night after spending the day at a conference in Boston. I'll post photos as soon as I get back! And maybe an SOS post if I get myself into a bind. Hah!

My biggest concern is overheating. I've set my route to go around all the major east coast cities I'll pass (DC, Philly, NYC, Boston) so hopefully I wont have to sit in traffic for too long. It did NOT overheat on the 60ish mile trip from the sellers house to my buddies house in 90+ degree temps so I am fairly confident but you never know.

Last time I did a long trip in a classic car (upstate NY to NJ and back) I learned that the "rebuilt Buick 350" was in fact rebuilt, but the ORIGINAL mechanical fuel pump was reused. $15 part got me towed off the highway, stuck in a bullet-hole-in-the-door shady motel in Newburgh NY and a long flat bed tow home to find I could have swapped it on the side of the highway in 10 minutes and been back on the road. This time, I am bringing spare parts. My plan is to get the water gauge installed and let the truck idle in the SC mid day heat for a while - if it stays cool, I'm good. If not, its scrambling to find a nice 4 core to throw in and maybe junkyard search for a shroud since I found out too late that it didnt have one at all.

Here goes nothing! I'll just update this thread with photos along the way if I stop long enough or as soon as I get home.
skyphix is offline   Reply With Quote