View Single Post
Old 03-10-2013, 01:28 PM   #41
Orange Crate

Re: Crossover steering question

If a new cross over drag link is not parallel to the ground you can get "bump steer" (steering wheel moves left or right in your hands when the suspension moves or if you hold the steering wheel in one place the wheels "steer"). You have to use a dropped pitman arm and even a block to raise the steering arm at your steering knuckle to get the drag link parallel, if you have any angle to your drag link it will bump steer some. The radius from (the pitman arm of the drag link) to the steering arm changes length (because it is a circle) as the suspension moves up or down. The amount of unwanted steer depends on the length of the radius (drag link) and the amount of suspension movement up or down. I think that the reason some have it more that others does depend on the amount of lift and how much money is spent on getting the drag link parallel to the ground. Cross over steering definitely has advantages off road but the unwanted steering at that time is not noticeable. I just put a Dana 60 under my 72 and I am thinking about using cross over because of the same reasons stated here, all my current TREs are worn and I will see some off road time.