View Single Post
Old 01-05-2018, 04:13 AM   #12
Apache'71

Re: MSD Atomic EFI on '79 K30 in Cali

Quote:
Originally Posted by donw1986 View Post
Okay my 86 came with a Rochester feedback carburetor with a dual capacity pump my computer controls the spark timing EST so I do not have vacuum advance I had to also buy the MSD throttle position sensor to make this work cuz I do have a check engine light also the air injection has a diverter valve that diverts air between the exhaust and the intake the air injection goes into the exhaust manifold before the O2 sensor I mounted the MSD O2 sensor past where the y- pipe connects
So here's the exact words from the MSD Addendum:

AIR PUMP
"Important: If your AIR system only puts air into the exhaust
manifolds, the Atomic system CANNOT be installed. The fresh air
being introduced to the exhaust will cause false readings to the
WB02 sensor.
If your vehicle is equipped with an air pump, close attention must
be paid to the air injection lines. GM used multiple types of air
injection control from the 1960's to the 1980's. All of the systems
used a belt driven air pump that delivers clean air into the exhaust system. Some of these systems used
a diverter valve to change where the air pump sent fresh air. Early systems with a diverter valve used a
thermostatic control valve (TCV) that diverted the air to the converter at 160°F coolant temperature. In
later years, the TCV was replaced by an ECU, which did the same job. During the initial setup of the Atomic, there is a selection for ‘Air
Pump Equipped’ (Figure 2). This must be answered to ‘Yes’ if your
vehicle is equipped with an air pump (the default is ‘No’). This will
make the closed loop function of the Atomic turn on at a higher
temperature to ensure that the diverter valve has switched and is
sending air to the converter. This way, the WB02 will receive the
true values of the exhaust gasses for the correct operation of the
Atomic’s self-learning and target air-fuel ratio."

So it sounds like your air injection has both exhaust manifold injection AND the intake manifold from what you described? Mine only goes into the exhaust so maybe this confirms how my truck won't work, but yours will based on what I am reading above because it also goes into the intake.

...But then it carries on with a butch of business about TCV valves and diverter valves, etc. which my system has a diverter and a TRV valve (not TCV), it's just that the diverter simply diverts the air to atmosphere instead of the intake manifold like yours I guess...

Above it says the TCV diverts the air to the "converter". Any idea what the " converter" is?

How do you read the above from the MSD Addendum? Am I out of luck with my year truck and configuration?
Apache'71 is offline   Reply With Quote