View Single Post
Old 04-28-2017, 03:08 PM   #24
Coupeguy2001

Re: Starting my 55 series 2 short bed step side

Since you have some good patina going there, I would mask off the fenders and the cowl, and get some spray cans and paint the blue on the hood to white.
Then buy some 2000 grit sand paper and lightly wet sand the new paint until the blue is just barely seen coming through the white.
Do not sand the rust on the top of the hood, as you will mess up the patina.
You can deal with that when you paint the truck at a later date.
But for now, I would just kinda make it flow.

I would buy some baby moon hubcaps for the wheels, and use brillo pads and water to bring back some shine to those wheels.
Then clean all the windows, and if you need to, get the door seals so you can stop some rattling.
Then drive it like that for a few months.

Look on the internet at pics of 1955 chevy trucks.
See what you like and then go after it.

I would just get the stock mechanicals working for now.

It will take a lot of money and lots of time to make it a lot better. make a resolution that you will never sell it.
That way, you have eons of time to change things.
If you sell it, you will miss out on a totally awesome learning experience, and an indepth look into the 50's.

The best thing I did was to vow after I got mine running, I would never take it apart so far that I couldn't drive it on Monday to work if I had to.
That perspective allowed me to drive it, find parts, and install them until I was ready to do anything major.

When I did most of the mods, I put it down for three months and worked day and night till i got it back up.
It runs good, there are things that I need to do, but i can drive it anywhere.

Last edited by Coupeguy2001; 04-28-2017 at 03:14 PM.
Coupeguy2001 is offline   Reply With Quote