View Single Post
Old 03-23-2018, 09:25 AM   #8
special-K
Special Order

Re: Lift kit recommendations

The cheapest would be the suspension special from NTW. So cheap they can't tell you its brand name Superlift stuff. They are old school ride but very good quality. I have that kit in my '72 due to budget concerns (). The best for the money is Tuff Country, IMO. That is my prefered brand I have used on quite a few trucks.

One thing to consider with better riding springs is the reason they ride better...flex. And flex is what draws the line between rub and clear on a marginal clearance lift.So does wheel width. A flexy suspension with allow more compression over the same angles putting the tire up into the body more. On my '72 K/20 with 6" EZ-rides, 315/75-16s mounted on 10" wheels could rub a bit at times. Very avoidable, but I am sure stiffer springs or 8" wheels would have eliminated that issue. I had to extend the rear shaft 2" for proper travel. Nothing necessary beyond that. They give you a transfer case drop but that's on the shelf. Totally not needed. I personally feel those only serve to make the front angle steeper when the longer rear shaft is not the issue. It puts a steeper angle on the front shaft by cocking the engine-transfer case unit down in the back end. Dropping the engine mounts the same amount is the only way that deal makes sense to me.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote