View Single Post
Old 03-22-2010, 01:28 AM   #27
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Re: Battery/amp gauge

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72lb4x4 View Post
Sorry, but you just don't understand what you're talking about. Your last sentence, among others, proves this.

The meter that reads in amps in a shunt ammeter is still a voltmeter measuring the voltage across the shunt resistor.

Look at the battery gauge and you'll see that it will fry before anything else in the circuit.

You might want to try using a web search to learn what an actual ammeter is and how it works.

The OP may want to look into the differences in the two underhood harnesses to see if they are missing the wires needed to make the gauge work.
Look
After going back and re-reading my post I discovered that I mistakenly said the shunt ammeter measures amperage differential. I meant to say voltage differential so I concede that mistake. I also maintain that the external shunt ammeter is neither a volt meter or an amp meter in the exact definition of either. It would be nice if you would point out errors instead of just saying that I don't understand what I'm talking about. It would also be helpful if you would actually contribute to the OP's problem instead of criticizing my post.

While I'll admit I'm not an electrical engineer I do know how to do a web search and I do know how an amp meter works. Your comments are merely semantics .
This web site defines both amp meters and external shunt ammeters.
http://home.cogeco.ca/~rpaisley4/Ammeter.html
There is a voltage drop (differential :edit) across the resistor on the shunt ammeter and while you may call it a volt meter I do not see it referred to as a voltmeter in any of the definitive web sites that I have researched.
Perhaps you can show me where any of the wiring to the battery gauge is connected to the negative side of the circuit. My reference to the lack of fuses in the circuit is correct and if the resistor on the shunt doesn't burn into then the small gauge wire will.

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.

Last edited by VetteVet; 03-22-2010 at 10:40 AM.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote