View Single Post
Old 10-22-2021, 09:02 PM   #5
68PanelTruck

Re: Overhead console temp/compass upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatzie View Post
This is the pinout from the second generation Jimmy.

Attachment 1975817

You only need four of the wires populated for compass and temp display.
Battery power, Ignition power, Ground, Temp sensor, and Dome/Courtesy Lamp.
GM wired the temp sensor as a loop from the console ground on one side, through the sensor, and back to the console TEMP sensor terminal on the other. I would feed the ground side of the temp sensor from the ground pin on the console just like GM did to avoid ground potential differences. Ground is not always ground... If you pick up ground off the rad support or somewhere else it may not be the same potential as the ground on the console. This will throw the temp reading off.
Hello Hatzie,
I am trying to do this same mod on my 68 Panel. I have an overhead console out of a 98-04 Blazer/GMC/Bravada. It has the compass and temp (no trip odometer or MPG functions) It has two electrical connector plugs, one that feeds the dome lights that I will have to install door switches to turn on and off. I believe the console is identical to the diagram you posted above.
The other connector plug has 6 wires that match the colors in the diagram pins #5, #6, #7, #8, #9, #10. (W/O trip computer)

#5 Dark green
#6 Black w/White
#7 Dark Green w/White
#8 Lite Green w/Black
#9 Gray
#10 Purple w/White

I think I understand most of what you said.
Can you confirm please?

Pin 5 is fused ignition (hot when the key is on?)
pin 6 is ground
pin 7 is VSS in (vehicle speed sensor I believe? Don't have that, it's a stock 68 c10. Do I leave this unused?)

pin 8 is air temp. I bought the matching ambient air sensor and it should connect to this pin on one side and ground on the other.

pin 9 is INT (instrument?) light dim. This is where I am confused. Is this to dim the digital display? I don't really care if it dims or not so do I leave this unused or does it have to be connected? If so, to where?

pin 10 Parklamps and interior light system. Not sure where to connect this one either.

So that is 6 wires/pins and you said that only 4 are needed, Battery power, ignition power, ground, temp sensor and dome/courtesy lamp.

Battery power pin #??
ignition is pin #5
ground is pin #6
temp sensor is pin#8
dome light is pin #??

So what I really need to know is what pin is battery power and what pin is dome light and is the dome light wire hot only when the dome light is on?

I really do appreciate any help you can give me. Thanks,
Robert
Attached Images

Trying to bring a 68 Panel Truck back from the dead. 396 Big Block, 4 on the floor, and a whole lot of rust.
68PanelTruck is offline   Reply With Quote