View Single Post
Old 02-25-2009, 10:11 AM   #111
sdailey
The Few, The Proud

Re: Project - '69 4x4 named "Patches"

Let's see...where to start.

The past 2-3 months have been hectic at work with the economy and lack of sales coming in to keep production going. My GM and CFO from corporate came down a month ago to inform us that we may be laying off employees if things don't get better. I actually had to give them a tentative list of employees in case we were to start layoffs. So I've been bummed about the guys here at work loosing their jobs and also about the risk of me loosing mine. So needless to say I haven't been spending a lot of money on the truck.

On a lighter note, I'm still working on the truck when I can. It's hard though to go downstairs and work on it when it's 30-40 degrees and no heat.

I've gotten bitten by a few of the old cliche's....like "hind sight is always 20/20" and "bigger isn't always better" and here's why. Me and a few other board members had some aluminum fuel tanks custom built for our trucks. Well with me and my way of thinking, bigger has to be better so I add a few inchs to the final measurements and sent them to the fab shop. I received what I ordered, but I couldn't believe the difference that 4" makes.

Anyway, here is the tank when I first received it. It's 12" at the rear and 13" at the front.

Here it is mocked up in the frame rails. Keep in mind that my truck has a 4" lift.

Well, the more I looked at it the more I didn't like it. So I go over to Alan's shop and set into cutting on it.

I ended up cutting 4" out of it.

And here's the finished product. 8" at the rear and 9" at the front.

Here it is mocked up in the frame rails.

So contrary to what you might believe or have been told by your significant other an extra 4" inches isn't always a good thing.

Last edited by sdailey; 02-25-2009 at 10:19 AM.
sdailey is offline   Reply With Quote