View Single Post
Old 01-13-2017, 11:28 AM   #60
BrianG

Re: Lets talk Small Block

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT7A View Post
Cool. Yeah it seems that if the cam is pretty aggressive, that a 670 carb may be restrictive. I'll bet that a mild cam could work pretty well with the 670 carb and the dual plane intake, even if you have flat topped pistons. If you experience some detonation, maybe you can back the timing off some? IIRC it's set fairly advanced currently, right? I don't think that will solve the problem if the compression is too high, but it will keep from making it worse. What does it idle like now?
It has a pretty decent lope to the idle now. One big issue with the idle is how many rpms I loose when I put it in drive. I do have a stall converter, but I guess they still grab to some degree until the real power is applied. If I set the park idle to 850-900 it just about stall the truck when I put it in gear because the idle falls so low. At that point, it sounds like a built Harley Davidson. To overcome that I have to set the idle at a minimum of 1,000 rpm. It still drops to maybe 650 rpm or so (give or take a little). At that rpm, it still lopes quite a bit. Sure it sounds cool and turns heads, but it is a bit too much for the street in my opinion. At that point also, I'm not making very much vacuum. So you can imagine how driving it in stop and go traffic is like. SORT OF SCARY and probably dangerous. Luckily I've got strong legs. I end up switching back into neutral and revving it to gain a little vacuum and keep it from falling on its face. But I'm sure I just sound like a punk by doing that.
BrianG is offline   Reply With Quote