View Single Post
Old 06-12-2002, 10:36 PM   #5
Pont
I need another Barley Pop

I've already been through this on my 67 4x4. Front springs are the same on 67-68 as the later years. Either 44" or 46" eye to eye, can't remember off the top of my head. Rear springs are different on 67-68 like 68SWB4X4 said. 69 and later are 52" springs eye to eye and 67-68 have 56" springs. I put an 8" lift on my truck and used 69-up front springs made by Skyjacker (softride springs). The rear springs I had to have custom built for my application. There were some 3/4ton applications around 69-70 that also used a 56" rear spring but the eye bolts are different and the centering pin on the springs are offset (not centered) as they are on the 67-68 springs. If you wanna go higher that 4", you will need to do some steering mods such as drop pitman arm or draglink. I do believe a drop draglink will work on the stock steering but a drop pitman arm will not. Simply convert to a later model steering box and you might be able to get some drop that way. I highly recommend converting to a crossover steering assembly. It works soooo nice on my truck with zero bump steer problems and relives the stress on the frame at the steering box. Stock steering tends to bind and stress the frame at the steering box.

If you have any questions or need pics of how I converted mine, please don't hesitate to email me. I would be happy to help.

By the way Shagster, thanks for all your help you have giving me in the past. 68SWB4X4 is a wealth of info on these older 67-68 setups.

04 Honda CRF450R

89 Toyota 4-Runner

34 Ford 2 door sedan - Long term project

----------------------------------------------
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness"
Pont is offline   Reply With Quote