View Single Post
Old 06-25-2002, 01:47 PM   #17
Pont
I need another Barley Pop

Ok guys, first thing I changed was the steering box. Got rid of the stock manual box and put a power steering box on from a 77 Chevy PU 2wd. I used a 2wd box because of pitman arm clearance with the frame. My first thought was to use a 2wd pitman arm on a 4wd box but the shaft is different and one won't fit on the other. From the pitman arm, I used a second tie-rod (same as the long tie-rod out front that goes from the left wheel knuckle to the right wheel knuckle) and cut it down and welded a tie-rod to the end of it. It only has adjustment on the pitman arm side but that's ok, these parts are only a mock-up til I replace it with the shiny stuff. These parts are currently on my truck and I have been driving it daily this way for a couple months now, no problems at all. Then I removed the steering arm (mounts to the drivers knuckle stock) and cut the end off it, welded and bolted it to the pad on the passenger knuckle and connected the tie-rod I just made. The original tie-rod that runs out front (the one my steering stabilizer is mounted to) is completely stock and unmodified. All you are basically doing is getting rid of the PUSH type steering that is stock on the drivers side and moving it over the the passenger knuckle so that steering for both wheels is controlled from the passenger side. Works slick!
Attached Images

04 Honda CRF450R

89 Toyota 4-Runner

34 Ford 2 door sedan - Long term project

----------------------------------------------
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness"

Last edited by Pont; 12-03-2002 at 09:09 AM.
Pont is offline   Reply With Quote