View Single Post
Old 02-06-2016, 05:45 PM   #128
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Re: The Old Mule - 64 BBW

So after I service my DD and did some work on my son's 02, I got to get back onto the Mule and his alternator problem. Rather than just replace the original still alternator/external regulator, I decided to do the conversion to the standard GM 3-wire internally regulated alternator. Thanks to a lot of board threads old and recent, plus Mad Electric, I got her done.

This is the main thread I referenced, starting with post#7)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=571082

Picked up a 10SI, 63 amp, at 9:00 (AC-DELCO # 321-41( (Told them it was for a 1979 Buick Regal, 8 cylinder 4.9L (301W) engine, with air conditioning. I didn't figure I needed the bigger 12si, besides no one had one in stock and I wanted to drive the mule again, quickly.

Removed old alternator, than set the new on in place. I then unwrapped the factory wiring, and unplugged the wiring from the external regulator. I cleaned up everything with Goop hand-cleaner to get all the stickiness off the wires.

Cut the small red wire from the old regulator to the horn relay

Cut the brown wire running from the dash light to the external regulator, cut it at the external regulator. Only the brown wire from the original external regulator harness will be retained.

You may also have to remove a black ground wire that ran between the horn relay and the old regulator (mine didn't have it)

Pulled out the old external regulator and ditched it plus the rest of the old regulator harness as they are not needed.

I picked up an alternator plug and soldered the brown wire that came off the regulator (goes to the warning light and ignition switch) to the #T1 (white in my case) lead.

I added a round electrical connector to the #2 alternator Lead (red).

I had to replace the main power wire (I used 12ga) from the horn relay to the alternator. My old one was was pretty cracked up and brittle. If yours is OK, for get the rest of this paragraph. Put terminals on both ends. One end connects to the horn relay , the other connects to the post on the rear of the alternator, along with the red lead from the #T2 connector.

I ran the 12 ga wire long enough so I could run the brown wire and it in in's only little wire wrap up from the main lead.

Bolted the alternator in place and fired it up. Works like a charm. 14.6 volts measured at the battery now. No issues note.

I had a bunch of used wiring harness convoluted tubing that I used to cover the wires to make it look all neat again.

So the mule is ready to roll again.

2 notes, I will probably need a slightly shorter alternator belt as although I am good now I am at the limits of the adjuster. Picked up one a 1/2" shorter, which should do the trick, but I wanted to drive and was to lazy to change it out today.

Also, you can use the more common 3 clocked distributors (made for passenger side) without any issues, I just did not want the chance of the wires getting near/touching the manifolds.
Attached Images

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote