View Single Post
Old 12-22-2016, 11:12 AM   #43
CSHADES

Re: Rebuilding my 1977 plow truck

After getting the truck running and moving under its own power I decided to work on some of the odd little details that needed to be done. I also wanted to get some more of the parts out of the way. I started with the wheels. I sandblasted them when I was doing the frame as you can see in previous pics. I didn't remove the left rear wheel from the truck for blasting because that wheel was bent a little when I changed over from 16.5 wheels to 16 wheels back in the 90's. The left rear was the only used wheel I put on the truck. So I had gotten some other used wheels from my brother. I blasted the best looking one out of the 4 he gave me and painted all the 3 straight ones and the one from him. Got them mounted and balanced and wouldn't you know it the one I used from him was bent. So right now the bent one will stay on the truck until I can find a straight wheel top replace it. I also worked on the rear bumper, I wanted to replace this one with a new one but everything I looked at seemed to be Taiwan chrome step bumpers. We all know how long Taiwan chrome holds up to salt don't we? So I cut the top plate off the old bumper, used it for a pattern for a new plate and had the local steel place bend the back edge for me. I don't have pics of the redone bumper right now but I will get them on here at the end. I also wanted to get the center hump in the cab done so I could get the inside of the cab finished with the plow controls and everything else that goes around the center hump. Just so any one that is looking to do this type of cab swap the center hump from a 73-80 4x4 is different than the one from 81-87. I was planning on using the one out of my original truck(copper colored one) but that didn't work out. Luckily I had saved the one out of the cab that I had purchased from my friend that I had talked about in my first post on this truck. I had sold that cab right after I had bought this cab. The center hump that I used needed some work because it must of been in a 4 speed truck originally and some one had used blue silicone to glue a piece of sheetmetal over the hole. The shift hole for a 81-87 shifter was also in a different position than the 77 shifter was, so I ended up welding metal into that hole and cutting a new shifter hole. So hopefully this info helps someone who is looking at doing this type of swap. Any questions so far?
Attached Images

CSHADES is offline   Reply With Quote