Thread: 87 tbi upgrades
View Single Post
Old 01-15-2018, 05:56 PM   #14
Nick_R_23

Re: 87 tbi upgrades

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselSJ View Post
That is a rumor that is spread by people who do not know how to work with them. There are guys over on the 454SS forums who are pumping out over 600HP with TBI. Great tuning tools are available for the computers. The injectors will handle more than 60psi of fuel pressure so they will support a lot of HP. Big block versions flow 670cfm and they can be bored bigger.
It's not a rumor, it's just a fact of life. With enough time and money you can do anything, that's no secret. The TBI is great for what it was meant to be, and that is cheap, simple, reliable fuel injection. There are also people running 600HP from an Inline 6, but there is a reason you don't find many people doing it: Just because it is possible, doesn't mean it's a smart or economical way to spend your money. I stand firmly behind my previous statement that I wouldn't waste any more time or money on a TBI system besides upgrading to a set of Vortec heads. The return on your HP-per-dollar ratio with a TBI system with any other upgrades is just terrible.

To the OP, you never mentioned what you actually use this truck for, or what you're hoping to get out of it or make it do. If you are willing to make some changes outside of your engine, you might end up happier with the results. I'm assuming since this is an 87 1/2 ton with TBI, you have a 700R4. If you don't already have them, upgrade to a 3.73 (or lower) ratio. If you have a 2.73, 3.08, or 3.42, gear ratio right now, swapping to at least a 3.73 will go a long way to waking that truck up. The stock 700R4 shifting calibration leaves a LOT of room for improvement, too. Even an off the shelf shift kit will greatly improve the way your transmission operates, and I'd recommend having the governor springs and weights tuned to the truck as well. Lastly, I suggest a QUALITY torque convertor, with a higher stall, and also a good external transmission cooler. FTI, Circle D, and Yank all make excellent convertors that retain stock drivability characteristics, but can instantly flash to the torque peak of what your engine is producing when you get on the throttle, allowing you to actually take advantage of the power your engine is producing. A well-matched convertor alone can make it feel like you've added 100hp.

I know everyone wants to start by diving right into upgrading their engine, but if you address these areas on your truck first, I believe in the end you'll come out happier with your truck and be able to enjoy it more.
Nick_R_23 is offline   Reply With Quote