View Single Post
Old 06-03-2011, 01:23 PM   #6
D13

Re: 79 Chevy Long Bed

Ok, first the dual-jet. I'm assuming it ran before your rebuild attempt? if you rebuilt it and it floods then either the needle is sticking, there is dirt under it, or the float is too high. Take the top back off and set the float a bit lower. You did put a new filter in it while you rebuilt it, right? Set the mixture screws back near the original settings? Does the vacuum break open the choke just a little when the engine starts?

Don't bother with another dual jet and line, if the line isn't right then the linkage may not be right either.

On the q-jet - you actually will get BETTER gas mileage with a Q-jet IF you keep your foot out of it. Be sure it and the manifold are a matched pair, i.e. that the choke is correct and all present. Do you know what it is off? I ask because you'll need to be sure it has the correct linkage connections for your throttle cable and trans, which an early one won't. Changing the intake will require gaskets and removing the distributor. Personally I'd try to sort out the carb you have first. Then you can search around here for info on the manifold swap.
Plus a mess o' tractors
D13 is offline   Reply With Quote