View Single Post
Old 01-02-2017, 09:43 AM   #1
clemsonteg

Body Filler Application

I am working on the bodywork of my truck during these cold months and this is the first time I am working with body filler. Based on reading here, I decided to go with Rage Gold.

The majority of the body filler I will be using will be going where the upper trim holes used to be. I welded each of the holes and smoothed them over the best I could, so now I would like to apply some body filler and begin making the area appear as if they were never there.

I have 2 questions that I hope will be easy to answer:

The first is, what is the maximum thickness I should do in any single pass with the body filler? Most of the areas are less than 1/8", but I have a few that are slightly over that. Can I apply the filler 1/8" to 3/16" thick in a single pass, sand, and then apply a second coat to any remaining low spots?

Secondly, can I apply the filler to multiple areas now, and then go back later and sand? I am a husband and a dad of 2 small boys, so my garage time is usually limited to an hour or two each night after the little ones are in bed. My plan was to try to get the first coat of filler on both bed sides and both front fenders this week, and then start sanding next week. I wasn't sure if the filler needed to be sanded immediately after it hardens, or if I can wait.

Thanks in advance for your responses!
clemsonteg is offline   Reply With Quote