View Single Post
Old 09-15-2016, 12:11 PM   #9
joedoh

Re: All projects start with a dream

4x4 s10 use torsion bars in the front, if you move the motor back the required 6-7 inches the transfer case will interfere with the torsion bar crossmember. msaintg has a project thread that discusses this. not to mention bagging a torsion bar front suspension will have its pitfalls too.

bagging a 4x4 is tough, they are usually made with a certain ride height for good cv joint angles so to lower it you would need to make sure the ride height was high enough not to eat up your cvs, and that may require raising the front differential in the suspension. there are not many lowering components for awd and 4wd trucks, except for trucks like escalades and land rovers, and those kits are seriously expensive. my friend wanted to bag his older awd escalade and the kit cost more than his truck.

I like the idea that anything is possible, but like Hussey said, look at what you will be able to do on your own, or this will very quickly cost 3 times more than building a bagged AD and buying a second tow vehicle for the winter.

nothing wrong with "bench racing", its what I call planning every detail before actually turning a wrench, but there are two pitfalls to bench racing, the first is when you talk yourself out of a perfectly good project because you see a problem you cant solve 20 steps down the line (so I mount the engine, mount the trans, mount the body, mount the bed, but how do I mount the gas tank?! oh well, not worth even starting) and the second is when you buy every single part according to the plan and find out your plan was a mistake because at the first part of the build you lack _____ (a part, a skill, space, etc, that snowballs all the downstream decisions) .

the first is covered by my saying "do what comes first before you worry about what comes next" and the second is covered by the old adage "planning is useful until the first shot is fired"

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote