View Single Post
Old 01-24-2019, 01:26 PM   #20
weq92f

Re: No power steering in a 3/4 ton Big deal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewBayColony View Post
I have a 72 C20 no PS and a three on the tree. I have no problem. I'm 66 and skinny. I don't think I owned a car with power steering for the first 10 years of car ownership. I also drove a U Model Mack tractor without it. It requires that you don't turn the wheel when you are sitting still. Just a slight movement and proper hand placement 9over and under on the wheel) and it's fine. Like anything else that takes a little skill, drive it enough and you won't even notice it. That's why I like old stuff because you have to get to know what you're driving. One good thing is that it centers itself much better than PS. It all goes back to what you want. Drive it as much as possible before you decide. It takes awhile to learn how to use a clutch properly, same thing with the steering. I would also restate that yes, if you're gonna put on a massive set of tires and a big block in it, PS all the way.
I drove a no PS truck all through HS. Every bit of NewBayColony's words here are true. I think you should drive it with no PS for a while just so you can get the feel of it before you swap it for PS! Just watch out on uneven and off road slow travel, especially going down grade with the brakes as that steering wheel can spin hard all by itself and take you hands with it!

-klb
99 540 sport V8 6sp -- sold
73 240z L24 4sp -- given to friend
68 C10 step 350/350 3.73 open -- sold
weq92f is offline   Reply With Quote