View Single Post
Old 08-13-2017, 12:22 PM   #1184
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Re: 85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

It has been raining here all week. When the rain lets up the heat sets in and humidity goes through the roof. Consequently I have not been able to finish my American Racing steering wheel project.

I needed to fine tune the brushed finish, then prep and clear it. I consulted Chris Plump from American Racing and found out they use a ceramic based clear on the wheels for durability. I looked at several options and came up with a Rust-oleum semi gloss that fit my needs.

After a bit of touch up on my brush work, the parts were wiped with brake cleaner to ensure they were oil free. I gave everything a few coats of clear and let it bake in the sun. For reference, this is a moderate dry paint. It flashes quickly and goes a bit milky. Its ready for consecutive coats in a short time, but needs a few hours to totally cure for handling purposes.

While the clear was curing I worked on the wiring for the horn button. I removed the plastic insulators from the connectors and used shrink tube instead. All I need now is the connector that activates the horn. That didn't come with the kit so I'm trying to track one down locally.

Once the components were cured I assembled everything. I topped it off with the Napa red leather ring looking like the cherry on top of a fancy dessert. I slipped the package in place and admired the new look.
In the last pic you get a drivers perspective of the American Racing VF506 steering wheel framed by the Brothers Truck Parts brushed dash bezel. Look closely to the bottom right and the Kicker Audio KMC20 controller is visible.
Attached Images

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"

Last edited by N2TRUX; 08-13-2017 at 12:36 PM.
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote