View Single Post
Old 03-16-2017, 05:45 AM   #14
special-K
Special Order

Re: Granny geared 71' K10, I need to go faster...

I would NEVER EVER run different ratios in front and rear of a 4wd. I'd sooner sell it and buy a 2wd and let someone who needs 4wd have it. I mean, what in the world is the point of having a 4wd that isn't a 4wd, that now has gears that lower it's pulling power? Just get the truck you need... or spend the money to do what is (perceived as) needed correctly.

Maybe you don't want to hear this, but it sounds like you need to. When these trucks were new the national speed limit was 70mph. These trucks sold as hot cakes and more than today were used to travel all over the country hauling campers and families. The only difference was, back then virtually nothing had overdrive. Cars were running the way tall gears you want now. But...people weren't the thoughtless zombies who drive by nerves, not their brains. I take pride in driving relaxed in the right lane while all the nervous fools chase each other down the road because that's how fast everyone else is going, in my '72 or my '95 with 4L80E. Screw the fools, I have no problems getting where I'm going on time and have plenty of time to do what I need to do. O/D was not created to make cars go faster. The point is to lower RPMs at same speed to save fuel and make engines last longer. But give a fool a way to get to point-B faster and they are zapping down the road w/o a thought.

The fact is, these trucks have been running for about 50 years (that's half a century) just fine with what gears they were built with. People are just used to hearing the drone level of O/D instead of an engine making power. On a 4wd I would put taller tires on for a win/win situation... better 4wd performance while getting down the hiway better. If you want automatic and you want O/D, why not a 700r4? Zillions of GM 4wds ran them. They are the trans that put O/D GM trucks on the road. You'll spend less gas money swapping to one and they do just great.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote