View Single Post
Old 07-13-2011, 06:16 PM   #1
theastronaut

Project Goldilocks, '66 C10 SWB BBW Build

After restoring a '65 C10 at work ('65 C10 Build Thread), I wanted to find one to build for myself. I didn't want a show truck like the '65 turned out to be; more of a solid beater that was nice enough to tinker with and drive as found. I hunted around and looked at a lot of truck, and nearly bought a red/white '66 swb/bbw (went and looked, couldn't get together on the price, called back the next day and upped my offer, he accepted- then sold the truck within the 30 minutes it took for me to get there!) before my dad told me about this one. I knew our mechanic is into 64-66 C10's and that he had a pretty nice project truck but I never thought to ask about it because I assumed he was going to finish restoring it eventually. He had even mentioned that he had a friend that he was trying to talk into doing the metalwork for the truck. Anyways, my dad was talking with him and mentioned that I was looking for a solid 64-66 to drive. About a week later, he calls my dad and said after thinking about it, he would be willing to sell his project truck to me if I was interested in it so he could work on his other '66. I'd seen the truck before but never really looked at it up close. Out of all the trucks I've looked at locally, its definitly the straightest and most solid of all of them by far. He had already had the frame and all suspension pieces blasted and powdercoated satin black. The suspension is fully rebuilt and has new front disc brakes and 2.5" dropped spindles. The rear axle has been rebuilt and has 3.08 gears and 3" dropped springs. And since he's out mechanic, of course we already trust that all the work was done correctly. There's nothing I'd do any different with the frame and suspension if I'd done it myself (other than lower it a little more). I also got the original wheels in the deal.

My plans are to finish running the brake and fuel lines on the frame, install a bolt in C notch and 5 inch dropped springs in the rear, add 2" springs to the front, and install front and rear sway bars. I'm going to keep the original wheels on it for now and run narrow-redline tires from Diamondback Radials. It came with a new GM crate 350/290 hp engine but its already on craigslist for sale. I've tracked down the original matching numbers engine and trans but if I can't buy it back then my plans are to use a Vortec 4200 from an '06-up Trailblazer/Envoy. They come with 290hp and 277tq stock. I'm planning on doing away with the factory computer/efi and having an individual runner intake made so I can run three-two barrel Dellorto side draft carbs. The ignition will be Ford EDIS/Megajolt. As for the body, there's a little bit of rust at the bottom of the kick panels and one of the fenders that I'll have to fix. The paint is good enough to fix and blend a few areas and drive as-is.

So there's the story, here are the pics.

One of the loads of parts. (and don't park near newly licensed high school kids!)

The refurb'd frame.

All new suspension. Late model steering box already installed.

New bumpers. Although the front bumper has the right shape, the mounting holes are too far apart for the thru-frame bolts. Don't know what its for?

The cab.

The PO had started to shave the firewall but thankfully only got as far as removing some paint.

Perfect sheetmetal on the bed.

Rust free doors. The PO had started scraping paint off the bottom of this one, will have to blend paint into these areas.

More parts.

Original aluminum grill.

I'll be updating the thread as I have the time and money to make progress. Updates may come slow for awhile, especially with the 95 degree+ heat and high humidity we've had lately.

Last edited by theastronaut; 12-07-2012 at 12:32 PM. Reason: Fixing dead pic links
theastronaut is offline   Reply With Quote