Thread: 55.2-59 Ol' Blue
View Single Post
Old 09-14-2023, 03:36 PM   #21
8man

Re: Ol' Blue

Ok, after a ruptured appendix, 9 days in the hospital after emergency surgery literally at midnight, I was cleared to lift more than 10 lbs. So, I'm going to get started on the 57.

That said, I've been going through build threads, and I have some questions.

I want it to be about 4" lower than the old 57. I found a rear end spring system that doesn't use bars, but springs, it's a bolt on from TCI. It lowers the rear end about 4", so I think that will work for me. However, before I start on that I had to get the frame home.

IMG_1470 by Robert Moorman, on Flickr

I checked it for level, square and width, and it is a good straight frame. So step 1 down.

I've already asked about MII IFS systems, and I have a Camaro clip, but I've thought and measured that one and I am not going to use it. Then I looked at Flat Out Engineering's Corvette front system, and I'm thinking hard about that one. I have to talk to them and TCI about their MII front end and then I'll make that decision.

I have a 79 C10 rear axle, a 69 Camaro rear axle and a 71 S10 ZX1 3.75 ratio with positrac and discs. Is one of these preferable to the other, or is there another axle I should be looking for? I think the rear should be about 61.5" inside the brake housings. If that isn't right, please let me know.

I like the single glass side windows. I've looked at the Brothers kit and the Nu-relics kit. If someone has a preference, please let me know. I am still asking them questions about these.

I like the idea of power windows. I've looked at a couple of power units, but with Nu-relics, I don't like cutting that big hole in the door panel. The Brothers just lets the window felt channel just flop below the top of the frame. Is there a better option, or is one of these the way to go?

If I get a re-pop door latch from LMC or someone, is it a good system? I used Altman on the 48, but I'm leaning toward original style latches on this one unless someone says don't do it.

I'm sure I will have more questions, but this should start me planning the truck. I'm bringing the 55 body home this next weekend to start looking at it on the frame. Then I can mark the frame for the wheel openings.
Build thread: "]http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=746899&highlight=wife%27s+48[/URL]
[/URL]http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=840204

Last edited by 8man; 09-18-2023 at 04:48 PM.
8man is offline   Reply With Quote