View Single Post
Old 11-15-2018, 08:19 PM   #15
Vic1947

Re: 57 Chevy Wagon - Californa Dreamin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57larry View Post
like your wagon, looks really solid. I have a 57 4 dr wagon also. owned it 39 yrs keep us posted with pics. thanks, Larry
Will do, Larry. 39 years... wow! I owned my 57 Ford for over 25 years which is my record by a long shot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1967GTO View Post
My wife wants one of these. I'm in to see the build
My wife wanted me to build a '69 GTO Judge clone, but I couldn't find anything reasonable. She's cool with this one, though. Our deal is that I'm not allowed to croak unless all my projects are finished.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Elco View Post
In at the start! Always fun tipping them upright. As always, any help or assistance I can offer, don't hesitate to call.
Thanks, Chip. I'm sure I'll be calling you as this thing proceeds. The RS frame will have to be transported from the trucking terminal to the house, so a trailer will be necessary.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Advanced Design View Post
Great plans and parts list so this is gonna be fun! Tagging along for the duration.
Thanks! I'm slow but I typically finish projects.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malibu Monte View Post
Sounds like a great project! I have a 57 four door wagon as well. It is my fair weather daily driver.
Way cool, Monte! According to the cowl tag, this one was painted the same exact colors as yours until someone squirted it red. Mine runs, but a DD it's not.

I've been working to get the wagon to where it will pass safety inspection. If you don't have that, you can't get tabs. My next door neighbor (a KC policeman) moved last year so there went my inspection workaround. The lights worked with the exception of the left turn signal and the right high beam. Fixed the turn signal with some contact cleaner and found a bad splice in the wire to the headlight, so both were fairly easy. The steering column has been gutted of the canceling mechanism and the horn. The original steering wheel is long gone, replaced by a SS wheel off something.

The horn button is now under the dash. It didn't work either. I disassembled the button and carefully cleaned it in the blast cabinet. It works fine now, but still had no horn. Moved downstream to the relay and it was shot. AutoZone had one for eight bucks and it now works, but still no horn. It arcs when you hit it with 12V, so something ain't right. I'll do some digging around to see if it's fixable.

The front brakes are much better now that I adjusted them, but I need to do the same to the rear as well. Brake shoes looked clean and fairly new when I removed the drums. The wheel bearing on the LF was looser than I liked, but tightening the castle nut one notch took care of it.

The carb kit showed up in the mail this afternoon, so I reassembled the mighty 2bbl and the engine runs like a little sewing machine now. The point dwell was sitting on 15 degrees, so I adjusted it but it kills the engine when you get up around 25 degrees. I left it on 20 and will just run it like that for now. If I get really desperate for something to do, I'll yank the cap and pull the points to see if they're burnt or some other problem.

There was a box in the back with some extra parts. Decided after fixing the headlight I'd reinstall the bezels. Had a good laugh when I saw how someone had used super glue to attach the rubber gasket to the front of the bezel (red arrow) instead of the rear (blue arrow). That took a lot of patience... and all for naught.
Attached Images

Maybelline - my '57 Ford 2dr Sedan "Mecum'd" 3/2016 Location unknown
Silver Streaker "Mecum'd" 4/2013 Somewhere in Texas
Vic1947 is offline   Reply With Quote