View Single Post
Old 12-19-2012, 03:48 PM   #44
Luther Grimace

Re: 1955 12 Valve NAPCO Clone

Thanks guys! I want to see a build on that 56 6BT truck. I'm sure we are having some of the same problems. The biggest problem to me is the firewall/radiator situation.

Alright I wanted to get some opinions on my steering situation. I basically have 3 options. Going from cheaper to more expensive.

Option 1: I can use the original steering shaft off the Dodge. It has a block style joint at the box and then it has a rag joint up towards the shaft. I have heard of people on Cummins forums saying that this setup has alot of slack. I haven't really noticed much on mine when it was still a Dodge but I can see how this might happen especially with the block style joint. All it will take to mount this is welding the splined portion onto the original Chevy steering shaft. The shaft will go up inside the splined portion so I could plug weld it and weld the perimter. I might have to take and shorten the main shaft which wouldn't be a problem because I could sleeve it also.

Option 2: I can buy new steering U joints and some 3/4" DD shaft. I would then use a 3/4" -36 spline to 3/4" DD u joint at the box, the 3/4" shaft, and then a 3/4" DD to 3/4" smooth bore u joint and attach it to the original shaft. I would prolly take the top joint apart and weld the smooth portion to the original 55 steering shaft around the perimiter and on the inside perimeter.

Option 3: Same as option 2 but with a collapsable shaft for safety reasons.

I am sure that the last 2 options would tighten the steering up but I am already going to be doing a crossover steering setup anyway so I should gain some tightness in that area. Option 1 is free and option 2 and 3 is prolly gonna be a few Benjamins. I'd like to here some opinions on this.
Luther Grimace is offline   Reply With Quote